Sunday 9 November 2014

"People would be all like: Jane, why do you have a photo of President Garfield on your mantle? And I'd be like: Because I like lasagna, of course."

I seriously couldn't find a poster that was in English and that I could use, so we're going to have to do without.

Anyway I watched the movie Smiley Face from the year 2007. The main character is Jane F, who wants to be an actress. She accidentally eats pot cupcakes made by her roommate, so her day becomes one big weird adventure when she tries to a) Get money for the dealer b) Somehow make new pot cupcakes for the roommate and c) go through the audition. 

I wasn't exactly sure what I would expect from this movie. I sort of expected something less distressing. I mean even though it's a fun movie, it has several very distressing scenes. And most of the effects and music used in the movie were really, well, effective. Basically visual and sound effects and the music made the viewer feel like... Well to be honest when I was watching the movie I felt like I was also stoned. 

I mean I've seen Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, and even that movie didn't have that kind of effect on me. In that movie, even though the effects are insane and the movie is kind of psychedelic, Smiley Face is that but over the top. Smiley Face also had some more realism in it compared to Fear And Loathing. I mean that's just being wobbly. Smiley Face however, well, Jane F wasn't using any harder drugs than marijuana, and she was almost incapable of doing anything. Everything she said and did was just so wrong, and I wanted to grab her and yell at her for being so useless. That kind of made it fun and hard to watch at the same time. Well, that and the mini heart-attacks this movie gave me - there were a lot of those moments when something happens so suddenly you actually get scared.

I truly adore Anna Faris. Most of her characters are truly, well, weird. I've seen What's Your Number like three times, and I adore Faris in it. I've also seen the first and third Scary Movie, though they weren't so good, but Faris was amazing in them too.

I liked this movie a lot, but it also was really annoying to watch. And it gave me a freaking headache. At least I think the movie had something to do with that.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment