Saturday 16 January 2016

"Half a million dollars will always be missed."


Year: 1997
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Written by: Elmore Leonard (novel) & Quentin Tarantino (for the screen).

A stewardess gets caught smuggling money from Mexico to the US. The agents propose a deal to her to help them arrest an arms dealer Ordell Robbie - but she has her own plan as well.


I remember that Jackie Brown was on television once. I didn't watch it, but I remember seeing a short trailer or something. 

The story of Jackie Brown is well written for sure, but it feels like something is missing. The story works well and it thrilling and intriguing. I haven't read the original novel, but the fault lies either in the novel and story itself or Tarantino's ability to adapt the novel for screen. Not that it is a big problem, not every story can be extremely unique and one of a kind stories - the most important thing is that the story works. One weakness for the story is that for a moment in the beginning it alienates the audience, when they don't know the whole idea yet, and they are just trying to follow. Now it's easy to catch up and things do become much clearer, but for a moment there the viewer might not have a clue on what's going on - especially when they haven't read a summary or anything. 

Jackie Brown is also an interesting character, considering that for a moment you have no idea who she is lying to and whose side she is on. The only thing you can count on is that this whole thing better be good for her. And Pam Grier, oh my god, I think I am in love with her. She's an amazing actress and so beautiful. 

I love the music in this movie. Makes me think of some extravagant 70's police show.

Jackie Brown is a very clever film. It's thrilling and it has an amazing cast. I definitely want to read the novel, it's probably right up my alley.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment